The Avera-Clarke House was built in 1890 by Judge Thomas Clarke, a civil war veteran who fought in the Battle for Atlanta. After the Civil War ended, he studied law in Georgia, came to Monticello in the late 1800's to open a law practice, was a signor on the Second Florida Constitution, and founded the Farmers and Merchants Bank (FMB is still thriving and one of the oldest independant banks in Florida). His Son, S.D. Clarke, also became a judge and was the last Clarke to occupy this House. S.D. Clarke was President of the Florida Senate for many years during the mid 1900's and ran the "Pork Chop" Gang in Florida politics.
The Cottage, reputed to be the oldest structure in Jefferson County (Ca.1821), was moved to our property in January, 2006 where it was fully restored. The "Greenhouse" as it was known before its arrival here, was originally located
one block southeast of the Couthouse and was the home of one of the first postmasters in Jefferson County. The Greenhouse was scheduled to be torn down before its rescue, but we were able to preserve the 900 sq. ft. freestanding structure that features a sitting room, dining table and chairs, queen size bed, full kitchen, and a full bath and half.
The Avera-Clarke House is owner occupied, and we have tried to maintain the historical ambiance and original character of the house and grounds for you to enjoy during your stay with us. We consider ourselves important caretakers in restoring and maintaining these historic structures and are quite proud of these decisions to preserve our past for future generations to enjoy.
Southern Tour Magazine (Spring of 2006), published an article highlighting the Avera Clarke House and the refurbishing of the Cottage. The same edition also featured an article about Monticello.
Tallahassee Democrat (2006), the Avera-Clarke House was the featured home during 2006 Monticello Tour of Homes.
A Tibetan Festival (2006), The Tibetan monks from the Drepung Gomang Monastery performed a house blessing called a "Puja" in January, 2006. This blessing was to share with the community their culture and message of inner peace and compassion for the world.
FSU Film School (2010), Wishes to thank the Avera-Clarke House for allowing their film students access to their home for movie and film programs. This venue offers the historic integrity and atmosphere that helps create a movie directors true vision.